Sunday, February 18, 2007

Asking for Help, Trusting Others to Help

I like to assume I can pretty much do anything I want to. Most of my life I have struggled incessantly at something rather than ask for help. That's why it's so fascinating to me that I love helping other people, yet sometimes neglect to love myself enough to receive that same courtesy! Not to mention, other people probably would LOVE TO HELP ME, if I would just give them the chance. That often happens in the way of paying somebody for a service, and I have to say, nearly always when I go out on this limb, the rewards are well worth the time I have saved.

Just this week, I've observed some examples of how asking for help has improved my life by simply giving me more time.

I spent most of today struggling with understanding QuickBooks tutorials. I asked my dad, then my husband for help. But it's really my accountant who can best help since he has most of my information to begin with. So I'm setting up time with him to learn how to use QuickBooks - not to mention a lesson in accounting, as that wasn't covered in my advertising classes!

Last week I signed up for SitterCity.com, a babysitter matchmaking site. Word of mouth sometimes can carry you only so far, and I found it was time to reach out for resources besides just whom I know. I was having a lot of difficulty at first getting sitters, then called for a refund in frustration. The service rep was so kind and suggested, "why don't we try a couple things first..." And those "couple things" ended up making all the difference. My new sitter starts this week!

Dieting with Jenny Craig program. So many times I tell myself, normal women can do this without help, why can't I? The thing is, everyone has strengths and challenges. For me, weight management happens to be a challenge, and therefore, an area I suspect I'll always want some extra support. Specifically, I'm not counting calories or cooking (saving me countless time) so I know that I'm following a healthy program without having to obsess over it. And I get a personal cheerleader every week - who else do I know would get excited if I lost 2 pounds? At Jenny Craig, they do!

Then there's the help that just shows up sometimes. Our front sidewalk mysteriously kept getting snowblown while my husband was at work, we're assuming by our neighbors who are truly like living next to Santa & his elves - they are nicer than we could ever imagine. (My husband rushed to shovel recently to give Santa some time off!)

This week, I wonder if you might consider what areas of your life could you ask for more help to give you time and peace of mind?

No comments: